Michael Dumas, a 17-year-old teen from Memphis is still dealing with the painful side effects of a parasitic worm infection he contracted on a mission trip in Florida.
His first symptoms were tiredness and ear pain. Later he noticed bumps on his thigh.
As any normal teen would, while hanging out on Pompano Beach, he was having fun with his peers. His peers buried him in sand. Doctors speculate that the hookworms likely burrowed under his feet during this time.
It is not only Michael, but the entire family that is traumatized. His mom, Kellie Mulhollen Dumas, who posted graphic images of her son’s injuries on social media, explained that they were all scared. She said Michael will be permanently scared.
What Are Hookworms?
Hookworms are soil-transmitted parasite worms that typically live in the small intestine and the eggs are transmitted through feces. (1) Hookworm infection typically happens by walking barefoot on contaminated soil, but laying in sand can do it too.
Many patients experience no symptoms, while others have gastrointestinal issues as a result of the infection.
After a dermatologist tried to freeze the worms, Michael says that he felt them moving throughout his body.
Along with the attempt to freeze the worms with liquid nitrogen, Michael has been prescribed several medications and steroids, yet he is still experiencing pain and cannot wear shoes.
Pompano Beach health official told his mother that its common knowledge to wear shoes on the beach due to potential parasites. Dumas is currently in touch with the Broward County Health Department as well and will hopefully find someway to successfully remedy the condition.
Written by Kat Gal