Ditch the bread and dairy for this decadent Grilled Zucchini Sandwich oozing with cauliflower cheese.
Transform zucchini into crispy grilled cheese without the grains and dairy! It’s a great way to sneak more veggies into your diet and comes loaded with extra vitamins.
Grated zucchini makes up the bulk of this sandwich bread. Not only is it versatile in flavor and texture, but it also adds extra potassium and fiber. Combine it with cassava flour to absorb moisture and add a crisp texture that works as a gluten-free alternative to all-purpose flour.
To seal in cheesy flavor, nutritional yeast gets incorporated into the zucchini bread. It contains essential amino acids to increase health benefits and is often used as a thickening agent for soups and sauces. For the gooey filling, this recipe uses a homemade cauliflower cheese recipe you can easily cube, slice, and grate. You can also look for a pre-made Paleo cheese at your local health food store.
To get started, combine zucchini, eggs, cassava flour, and nutritional yeast in a mixing bowl. Stir until everything is thoroughly mixed. Then, heat the avocado oil over medium heat for one minute. Add a ½ cup of mixture to the skillet and use a spatula to shape into a rectangle. Cook for three minutes on each side, or until it becomes crisp and golden.
Once the zucchini bread slices are cooked, assemble the grilled cheese sandwiches. Divide the cauliflower cheese on top of two bread slices and cover with remaining slices. Return to the pan and warm for three minutes, or until the cheese starts to melt. Serve hot and enjoy!
The Best Zucchini Grilled Cheese
- Medium skillet
- Medium mixing bowl
- 2 medium zucchini, grated
- 2 large pasture-raised eggs
- 1/2 cup cassava flour
- 1 T nutritional yeast
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 1 t avocado oil
- 1/2 cup cauliflower cheese, grated
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together grated zucchini, eggs, cassava flour, nutritional yeast, and sea salt.
- Heat the avocado oil in a skillet over medium heat and scoop a 1/2 cup of mixture onto the hot skillet. Use a spatula to shape it into a rectangle. Cook for three minutes on each side and repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Divide the cauliflower cheese onto two slices of zucchini bread and cover with the remaining slices. Place onto a pan and heat until the cheese melts (about three minutes).
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Article shared with permission from Paleo Hacks