Our daily lives can be hectic. In the midst of busy schedules, sometimes it can be difficult to just manage the basics when trying to balance our time and energy. Making time for three square meals every day can seem impractical. Unfortunately, the one meal we can’t afford to miss is the one we too easily allow to fall by the wayside from our daily routines.
Eating a filling breakfast gives our bodies energy to make it through the day. The fuel we get from breakfast not only helps determine our performance at work and daily tasks but is also key in overall health. Eating breakfast contributes to a healthy heart and helps with weight management. (1) Eating a breakfast that you truly enjoy can also be the first (or only!) chance to set your day off in the right direction, and lift your mood.
Herein lies the struggle: How do you make sure you include this essential meal in your routine without slowing down your schedule and make it healthy and delicious?
Look no further than these easy to make “golden milk” puddings, packed with the super-nutrition of chia, turmeric, and ginger. Turmeric and ginger – both delicious, earthy spices – help to settle the stomach and contain antioxidants that boost your immune system. Both are also known to have general anti-inflammatory properties. (2,3) Chia seeds create a thick texture that makes the pudding filling and delicious while offering protein, calcium, and fiber-rich nutrition to meet your body’s needs. (4) A hint of sweetness from raw honey and cinnamon will make your responsible breakfast seem like a treat!
These homemade pudding cups take only minutes to make and can be made up to four days ahead of time making meal-prepping a breeze!
- 4 cups full-fat coconut milk
- 3 Tb honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ cup chia seeds
Tasty Toppings and Garnishes (Optional)
- ½ cup yogurt (coconut recommended!)
- 1 cup fresh mixed berries
- ¼ cup toasted coconut chips
- ⅛ cup semi-sweet chocolate shavings or chips
- Combine the coconut milk, honey, vanilla extract, turmeric, cinnamon, and ground ginger together in a mixing bowl.
- Stir well to combine completely, until you have a smooth and vibrant yellow mixture.
- Add the chia seeds to the main mixture and mix evenly. Set aside for 5 minutes to allow seeds to absorb moisture and thicken the pudding.
- Stir once more before covering the bowl and transferring it to the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Once chilled, divide the finished pudding evenly between 2-4 serving containers or glasses, depending on the desired serving size.
- For personalization and extra delicious nutrition, top with a dollop of your favorite yogurt and fresh berries. For an extra touch of sweetness, sprinkle with toasted coconut chips or semi-sweet chocolate!
Double the batch to prepare a rich breakfast for your family, or get creative with your own toppings to suit your morning meal to your perfect taste!