At Healthy Holistic Living we search the web for great health content to share with you. This article is shared with permission from our friends at FitLife.tv.
By Drew Canole
There are few things more attractive than a nice set of pearly whites and a warm smile! Regardless of the shape of your smile, I think you’re beautiful and I encourage you to use it often! Smiles are free and have the power to bring so much joy to the world.
Today, I want to give you a tool that is natural, safe, efficient and guaranteed to leave your teeth whiter than it found them!
The Problem With Commercial Whiteners
Americans spend over 1 billion dollars a year on over-the-counter tooth whitening products. But are you getting what you’re paying for?
Most people have no idea that most whiteners come with risks, such as:
- Teeth becoming translucent
- Gum irritation
- Gum receding
- Oral infections/disease
- Teeth becoming brittle
- Teeth going yellow again faster than before
It’s true… although many teeth whiteners will work short term, the results often don’t last. Overuse can lead to serious issues that are not worth the temporary satisfaction at all!
The good news is you don’t need these chemical teeth whitening products!
As with most things, mother nature has some tricks up her sleeve to help you get that vibrant smile you’ve always wanted.
The answer to whiter teeth is in your pantry. If you’ve been hanging around the health and wellness community, then I’m sure you’ve heard of this increasingly popular spice. It’s actually one of my favorite superfoods to use every single day.
Turmeric is a naturally vibrant, golden spice that is often used to make mustard appear yellow. “What? A yellow spice that will help make your teeth more white? Pretty sure you’re crazy, Drew.”
Turmeric: Natural Teeth Whitening
Author: Drew Canole
* You can also do this natural teeth whitening with only turmeric powder and water.
- Wet your toothbrush and dip it in the mixture. Brush it on teeth as you would toothpaste. Allow to sit for 3-5 minutes.
- Spit and rinse well.
- Continue daily for a few days or even a week until you see desired results
And that’s it!
4 Turmeric Benefits for Natural Teeth Whitening
The great thing about using natural remedies made from superfoods is that they almost always contain multiple benefits. Many studies have been performed to show the benefits of turmeric in dentistry and for oral hygiene.
1. Toothaches and Oral Infections
2. Gum Irritation and Gum Reddening
When you use natural products like turmeric, you can expect less irritation and a healthier mouth than when you use chemical-based products. Because of turmeric’s antifungal, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties, it can help to soothe inflammation and irritation in the mouth.
Some people are unknowingly allergic to chemicals in commercial toothpaste and other oral products. Using more natural-based substances, like turmeric can benefit the mouth significantly by lessening reddening and irritation.
3. Decalcify Your Pineal Gland
The pineal gland has been called one of the most important parts of your nervous system. It sits right in the center of your brain and is responsible for regulating various hormones and is also known as the center for “spiritual awakening”.
Many chemicals and substances in our modern world have been shown to damage the pineal gland.
It is believed that because of turmeric’s neuroprotective benefits and anti-inflammatory properties, it can improve and preserve the health of the pineal gland when used regularly.
4. Protect Your Brain from Fluoride Damage
Turmeric not only helps whiten your teeth but may also help combat the negative effects of fluoride.
Fluoride, unfortunately, can be found in many household products.
- Drinking water
- Non-stick pans
- …and more
In contrast to natural teeth whitening methods, multiple studies have shown that fluoride is toxic to the human brain and body. Curcumin, the active substance in turmeric, contains remarkable brain-saving properties!
Over 200 peer-reviewed, published studies have shown that curcumin is a neuroprotective agent.
With all the chemical and toxin exposure we face daily, turmeric could very well become one of the most important herbs of our time!
Turmeric Benefits: 5 Things You Didn’t Know
1. Turmeric is very, very old!
Although turmeric only began trending in the United States about 30 years ago, it has been used in food and medicine around the world for thousands of years! Historians believe it was first used in India and then was brought to Asia, Africa, and the Caribbean.
Researchers have found turmeric on the teeth of old skeletons found near the Indus River and also on various cooking supplies thought to come from the same time period! Looks like we’re not the only ones using turmeric for whiter teeth.
2. Turmeric was referred to as gold in biblical times!
That’s right, many historians believe that the GOLD the wise men brought to baby Jesus was actually turmeric! In many ancient scripts, people refer to gold when they were really talking about turmeric.
3. Turmeric has positive side effects!
Although many anti-inflammatory drugs (pharmaceuticals) are effective, they also take a big toll on your overall health. I’m sure you’ve experienced the negative side effects of drugs at one point or another, and they are not fun! Especially when they are intended to make you feel better.
Turmeric, on the other hand, is packed full of beneficial side effects for almost every organ of your body! If taken in extremely high doses, it may cause diarrhea and slight nausea, but in normal everyday use, it is safe and free of side effects (like anything new, though, be sure to consult your trusted naturopath for guidance).
4. Turmeric is easy to include in your diet!
You don’t have to work hard to get this tasty spice into your diet. You can take it in capsule form, use the powder in smoothies, juice the root itself, add it to all sorts of dishes, use it to brush your teeth, etc. Just browse our website for turmeric recipes!
Try out these 10 Amazing Turmeric Recipes!
5. Turmeric may work better than Prozac for depression!
Recent studies done by a medical college in India found that curcumin (the active ingredient of turmeric) was successfully able to improve symptoms of depression in patients and didn’t cause negative side effects.
More Studies/Uses For Turmeric
- Fights brain tumors
- Helps reduce risk/improve symptoms of prostate and skin cancer, myeloma, leukemia and metastasis
- May reduce risk of Alzheimer’s disease
- Boosts eye health
- Aids weight loss
- Potent antioxidant
- Boosts body’s own antioxidant enzymes
- Natural pain killer
- Detoxes liver
- May benefit those with Parkinson’s disease
- May slow progression of multiple sclerosis
- Increases levels of Brain-Derived Neuropathic Factor (BDNF)
- Effective treatment for depression increases hippocampal BDNF
- Reverses effects of chronic stress
- Improves sleep
- Promotes weight gain in those suffering from cachexia
- Effective natural remedy for psoriasis
- Helps prevent certain stomach ulcers
- Stops growth of H. Pylori, a bacteria often responsible for acid reflux
- May help prevent cardiovascular (heart) disease
- May reduce risk of heart attack by 65% in certain individuals
- May soothe symptoms of arthritis
Get More Turmeric Benefits In These Ways
- Turmeric For Glowing Skin
- How To Cook With Turmeric
- Turmeric Face Peeling Mask
- Anti-Inflammatory Lemon Turmeric Tonic
- 3 Recharging Turmeric Smoothie Recipes
We love turmeric and have all experienced several of its health benefits (of which over 600 are documented!).
In fact, we love it so much that we spent a ton of time researching and formulating our very own turmeric supplement that is 4 TIMES more available by the body due to our super specialized extraction method.
AND – it’s all organic!
You have been enthusiastic about turmeric for a long time. And you’ve asked us to bring you something you could count on to be pure, effective and safe. Well, my friends… we listened.
DISCLAIMER: This information is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your dentist or another qualified health provider with any questions about your oral health, medical condition and/or current medication. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking advice or treatment because of something you have read here.
- Nagpal, M., & Sood, S. (2013). Role of curcumin in systemic and oral health: An overview. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3633300/
- Canole, D. (2015, December 02). Commercial Teeth-Whiteners are TOXIC, Use this Turmeric-Coconut Oil Paste Instead. Retrieved from http://fitlife.tv/how-to-whiten-your-teeth-with-turmeric-saturday-strategy/