Vicks VapoRub Causes Respiratory Problems. Use This Instead!
“The ingredients in Vicks can be irritants, causing the body to produce more mucus to protect the airway,” Dr. Rubin, the study’s lead author, said in a statement to the media. “Infants and young children have airways that are much narrower than those of adults, so any increase in mucus or inflammation can narrow them more severely.” Petrolatum, one of the ingredients in Vick’s, is also linked to cancer.
“Among the studies linking the petrolatum impurity PAHs [polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons] to breast cancer is a Columbia University study in which researchers found that the breast tissue of women with breast cancer was 2.6 times more likely to contain elevated levels of PAHs bound to DNA (called DNA adducts) than the breast tissue of women without breast cancer (Rundle et al. 2000). Serious questions need to be answered over the safety of petrolatum or petroleum jelly as it is more commonly known.” (3)
Additionally, there is currently no scientific evidence to prove that Vicks helps with anything. To protect your family from dangerous side effects, you can make this homemade chest rub. It includes eucalyptus essential oil. Eucalyptus contains several compounds with antispasmodic, anti-harmful organism, expectorant, and decongestant properties. One of the main compounds is called cineole. Cineole is an expectorant, can ease a cough, and fight upper respiratory problems. Less than two tablespoons of camphor can result in extreme neurological effects, and may even risk death. Please keep in mind that Eucalyptus is not recommended for kids under 10 and peppermint is not recommended for kids under 6.
Vicks VapoRub Causes Severe Respiratory Problems. Use This Instead!
- 1 tablespoon spoonful extra virgin coconut oil
- 2 drops lemon essential oil
- 3 drops eucalyptus essential oil (where to find) alternately for kids under 10 years of age use melaleuca oil.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Rub into your chest and upper back.
Article originally posted on livingtraditionally.com republished with permission.
- (1) Reinberg S. Vicks VapoRub Linked to Infant Breathing Problems. Washington Post, Tuesday, January 13, 2009.
- (2) Abanses JC, Arima S, Rubin BK. Vicks VapoRub Induces Mucin Secretion, Decreases Ciliary Beat Frequency, and Increases Tracheal Mucus Transport in the Ferret Trachea. Chest 2009; 135(1):143-148.
- (3) Rundle A, Tang D, Hibshoosh H, Estabrook A, Schnabel F, Cao W, Grumet S, Perera FP. The relationship between genetic damage from polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in breast tissue and breast cancer. Carcinogenesis. 2000 Jul;21(7):1281-9.
A Quick Note from Our Founder
Have you been curious about losing weight eating Bacon and Butter? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of my friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Bacon and Butter Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!