This Grain-Free Coconut Macaroon Recipe is Even More Delicious Than the Original!
Coconut water, coconut milk, coconut oil, coconut flour, coconut meat! What’s up with all the coconut? Here’s what: these nuts have a wide variety of nutritious qualities that provide awesome benefits to your health.
Why is Coconut So Nutritious?
Eating coconut (in its many forms) treats you to a hearty serving of dietary fiber. Not to mention, it supplies healthy saturated fats without any cholesterol. Polyunsaturated fats like soybean oil and vegetable oil work to slow down your thyroid’s metabolism (raising your cholesterol levels and leading to unwanted weight gain and hormone imbalance).
Coconut oil, on the other hand, is a medium chain triglyceride (a type of saturated fat), that won’t interfere with your thyroid production. In fact, coconut oil is known to help speed up your metabolism. Here’s just a taste of why this is so good for your body:
• Promotes healthy cardiovascular system
• Helps prevent stroke and heart attack
• Regulates your digestion
• Helps keep colon cancer at bay
• Helps you fight viruses and infections
• Source of manganese (helps you metabolise carbs and amino acids better)
• Source of potassium(balance fluids, regulate heartbeat, lower blood pressure, healthy muscles)
What’s Wrong with Grains and Dairy?
Not only is coconut a great nutrition option in its own right, its versatility allows it to replace unhealthy foods in quite a number of ways! In this recipe, we use coconut flour to replace white flour, and coconut milk to replace cow dairy.
For some people, they think “why bother!”, but substituting coconut in your baking and cooking isn’t just a great way to get more of its benefits on a regular basis, but it’s a tasty way to eliminate toxins from your body. Toxins from gluten and milk, for example.
Dairy Health Problems
Research suggests that diets rich in dairy increase the risk of developing coronary heart disease. In addition, consuming dairy regularly has been linked to higher rates of certain cancers, including breast cancer and prostate cancer. If that’s not enough, scientists have found that the adults don’t have the same ability to digest milk as infants do… and in fact, a large portion of the adult population is really lactose intolerant.
Here’s how to tell if you should quit milk for good:
• Abdominal pain
• Frequent illnesses
• Iron deficiency
• Joint pain
Grain Health Problems
With all the gluten-free products becoming available these days, people suffering from celiac disease are jumping for joy! But believe it or not, in 2007, scientists discovered that gluten actually has a harmful effect on everyone’s digestive tract, not just those with Celiac. It’s just that people with celiac disease trigger a more drastic immune response with just a small amount of gluten exposure.
Nevertheless, if you’re not limiting (or eliminating!) your intake of gluten, it’s slowly taking a toll on your gut and your overall health.
Coconut Macaroons (Grain-free & Dairy-free!)
Okay, people, here it is! This super simple recipe is a wonderful dessert or snack option that anyone can eat (and will love). Notice, we don’t add any yucky sugar!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Makes: 10-12 macaroons
What You Need:
• 1 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
• 1 tbsp coconut flour
• 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp coconut milk
• 3 tbsp raw honey
• 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
What to Do:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Place baking paper or reusable non-stick baking sheet on a tray.
3. Mix all ingredients into a saucepan over high heat, then bring down to a simmer for 2 minutes, or until thick.
5. Remove from the heat. Scoop mixture into balls onto the baking sheet.
6. Bake until golden brown on top (5-15 minutes depending on your oven. Be sure to check every few minutes).
7. Allow to cool and set for several minutes, and then enjoy!
We hope you have fun making this awesome recipe, and that it inspires you to find more and more ways to eat healthy delicious food all the time!
Latest posts by Healthy Holistic Living (see all)
- Some tea bags contain frighteningly high pesticide levels. Is your favorite tea one of them? - December 13, 2017
- 45 Things You Should Stop Buying & Start Making At Home - December 13, 2017
- Scientists link Fluoridated Water with ADHD, Obesity and Depression - December 13, 2017
A quick note from our founder
Over the past year, my friend Dave at PaleoHacks has been working on a secret cookbook with world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold.
Well, today this new this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE
That’s right — as a special launch promotion, we’re offering our brand new Paleo fat loss cookbook to you for free (Chef Pete lost 60 lbs using these recipes!) — All you have to do is just cover a small shipping cost (international shipping is a bit more).
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because we only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)→ Get The Free Cookbook